23 May 2010

Isaac Samuel Triumph King



My littlest brother Isaac would have been one month old today.

He left us for heaven 18 days ago…it seems like a moment since, and yet it feels like ages of the earth have rolled past like the tears down our cheeks. God only gave us 12 days with him here. Soul-trying days. Sweet days. Days I wouldn’t have missed for the world.


Let me backtrack to where I left off...

I don't know who may read this, or if you are experiencing something similar, but if you or someone you know is going down this road, please take what we have learned to heart...

We knew we were up against a lot just with the fact that my little brother had Trisomy 18, but also because the medical community does not value life as we do. They do not see every person, no matter how small or "incompatible with life" as bearing the image of God. Life is sacred because humanity in all it's forms since the birth of mankind is stamped with Imago Dei, even if it is a marred image. And that's what my parents fought to defend. But we got weary; we didn't catch things that now looking back, we ache to change. The day we moved out of the NICU and into a hospital family room, Mom caught them ordering Isaac off his heart meds. My parents stopped that, but they didn't catch that without consulting us the doctors also decided to not give Isaac the protein and lipids in his glucose/electrolytes IV. Instead of seeing Isaac's value and personhood as long as his life endured, they saw a sick baby that was going to die soon anyway. Mom realized this a week later, and we thankfully were able to have a feeding tube put in him. He would fuss before feeding, eagerly suck away at his little pacifier during, and get comfortably sleepy afterwards. We are still heartbroken and sick when we think of him not getting the nourishment he needed for those days... So PLEASE question everything, stay on your toes, and let them know that you are the one to call the shots.

When we moved into the family room, Isaac left his heart rate/breathing monitor in the NICU. We asked if we could have a monitor, so it would alert us if we were sleeping and he had an apnea bout. The doctor couldn't understand why we would even care. There were no monitors for Isaac available to take into our room, so we became monitors for him. Since we couldn't bring him home, we brought home to him. For the next eight days, we older kids stayed at the hospital with Mom and Dad, and Isaac never left our arms for more than 5 minutes. Around the clock, for around the next 200 hours, we cuddled heaven. We lost sleep, but it is a small thing to miss when holding eternity for a few moments in time.






Who knew the eternal imprint those beautiful, fleeting clubbed feet could leave on our aching hearts.
We miss him so much. We miss cuddling him, the weight of his baby self in our arms, speaking Psalms to him and saying “I love you”. I miss slipping my finger into his clenched fist and feeling his grasp, kissing his head and that sweet baby smell of new life.











God took Isaac Home from the hospital on May 5th under a peaceful sky rosy with sunrise. Our little lamb went straight from Mom’s arms to the everlasting arms of the Good Shepherd.

But we are thankful. How could we not be when the Lord proved Himself so strong, faithful and gracious on our behalf? He showed us that it wasn’t Isaac’s heart that needed healing, it was ours. And He is giving us healing, sanctifying and purifying us through the swift arrival and departure of Isaac Samuel Triumph King.




Now thanks be to God, who always leads us in TRIUMPH in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. - 2 Cor. 2:14


The Lord did answer our prayers to heal Isaac - even if it wasn’t in the way we in our short-term vision sought.
Through Christ's triumph over the grave, Isaac has triumphed! No more tape, no more tubes, no more poking for IVs. Isaac is free.

And the Lord will continue to free us as we walk this long road with empty arms. It’s a good thing we walk by faith and not sight, because we wouldn’t be able to see where we’re going through the tears sometimes.
We don't know all the "whys" of God's ways, but He has revealed 3 promises we can cling to: that this is for God's glory, for Isaac's good, and for our own good. Though it's hard to see through the fog of our short-sightedness, His promises remain as good and solid as the road beneath our feet, stretching on around the bend.

O fill us, Lord, with dauntless love;
Set heart and will on things above
That we conquer through Thy triumph,
Grant grace sufficient for life’s day
That by our life we ever say,
“Christ hath triumphed, and He liveth!”
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!

-from "Now Let the Vault of Heaven Resound"


One Day, we’ll hold Isaac’s hand again,
perfectly healed, and all around will be the fragrance of New Life under an eternal sky. The King will make all things right, wipe away every tear, and we will live and reign with Him forever!





We’ll carry you in our hearts until then, Isaac.

~Audrey, Isaac's big sister


7 comments:

  1. Amazing photos....you have held a piece of heaven in your arms.

    Well done King family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious! I am so glad to hear that you value every life. God gives the strength for everything He brings our way. He had a reason for calling Isaac home.
    I found this blog by searching for "Resting in Jesus Arms" clipart. I am trying to find some royalty free clipart that I could use for the newsletter I write (www.godsrosesnewsletter.weebly.com) God has been working on me to rest in Him. There have been many changes in my life, major changes, and I am learning that resting in Him is the best way to go, so this month is the theme of resting in Him.
    My brother has Cystic Fibrosis, and will likely not live into his 30's, he is 21, right now. He was supposed to have never made it into his teens. He was a very sick baby. He is a miracle, though, and I know God is in control with him, too.
    Your blog sure was a blessing to me today, thank you.
    Raych

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Laura. You'll never know how much those words mean.

    Thank you for your encouragement, Raych. It's so true, resting in His sovereign goodness is the only way to find true rest, no matter what is going on around us! Even now I miss Isaac so much, it still hurts, yet God is still faithful and true. May the Lord continue to be your strength, and to bless your dear brother and your family! God is good, and will work mightily through those surrendered to Him, by His grace. Blessings in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I thought of this post the other day, and so I had to find it so that I could update.
    My brother, Guy, passed away on March 2, 2011. After 22 years of suffering, he can freely breathe. He was my only biological sibling, but I have seen how God's people have pulled together to help us. It has truly been a blessing.
    Raych

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey, this is Amanda. I used to be your babysitter in PA. Your mom sent me your blog and as I read this I am so moved. You are such a beautiful God fearing young lady! I am so proud of you! Thank you for sharing, as I wipe my tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless God for the family He placed Issac in, & the warmth, the sheer joy, & love he felt because he was who he was, & he was here. I'm so sorry for the way your little brother's life was counted as nothing to those doctors & nurses that take vows to preserve life, and treat each one with value no matter how grim the prospects seem. I'm so very thankful for the Christ in you & your family...to Him be all the glory! I'm filled with pride & gladness that He reigns supreme, and love how the Holy Ghost has blessed you with His insight, and foresight of Issac's purpose for the short time you were blessed with his presence. May God continue to bless, comfort, & strengthen you & your family, & may your memories of & love for your brother carry you through your mourning...until at Home, you meet again.
    P.S.- I'd placed Issac's picture on my FB page today, & asked my friends to pray for him; so did my daughter....we'd gotten his pic from a FB page called "Jesus Daily" that we both subscribe to. We didn't know that he'd gone Home last month. If you don't mind, I'd like to copy this blog address to my page, so those who see it will know Issac's with God now, & doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry; I just noticed the actual date you wrote this blog piece...please forgive me. Nonetheless, I'd like to post an update, despite his Homegoing was nearly 4 years ago. God's blessings to you & your family.

    ReplyDelete